Spring Equinox signifies the union of our masculine and the feminine sides. It also reflects the balance and the meeting point of the light and dark in our lives. From the point of the Spring Equinox, daylight is increasing and a new tide of life begins anew.
This is a time that can be seen as a way through chaos and into fertile possibilities, a new way of life. Traditionally we evoked the Goddess Oestre (the Goddess of Light , taken from the word Oestrogen). She can help us through the chaos before and after the equinox.
Why celebrate the Earth Calendar Festivals?
Its important for me to honour the Earth calendar dates that relate to our natural seasons in the UK. I also practice a shamanic tradition based in the High Andes of Peru, with the Q’ero nation.
I love organising small ceremonies and gatherings with friends to mark these special breathing points of the year. They mark a time when there’s a thinning of the veils between the worlds. This is where we can regain our balance, aligning with our dreams and intentions for the year.
At this time we can tune in more easily to what the earth, the elements and the natural world are saying to us. While at this point of the earth’s evolution, I feel it’s important to slow down enough to connect with Mother Earth’s heart. When we sit quietly during meditation or ceremony, we can hear what she has to say.
Inspiring People for our own Gatherings and Ceremonies.
Glennie Kindred has helped me to shape my ideas around these eight earth calendar festivals. Also Danu Forest and her book ‘The Magical Year’. I also gained inspiration from the Druid path and a book called ‘Hedgewitch, a guide to Solitary Witchcraft’ by Rae Beth. Rae Beth talks of the two weeks before and after the Equinox as a time of transition , great stress and tension. She says that all the elements of life are being brought into balance, physically as day and night attain equal length.
Before we can step onto our new path , we need to let go of the old ways and let them break down!.
- Meditation : We can ‘plant’ the sacred seeds we hold within us into the outer world. This can be done by symbolically planting herbs and flowers into compost and decorated pots.
- We can decorate eggs, placing them in a willow basket on our altar. We can honour the time we have taken to incubate our ideas and plans for the coming year. State your intention as you hold your egg and pass it around your circle of friends to be blessed if you are holding a ceremony.
- Take time to bless and honour the feminine and masculine side within you through journeying to those parts, sitting with them and evoking them through ceremony.
- Get outside and feel the wind in your hair, blowing your prayers to the wind spirits for yourself, your family and friends, for the earth. Hang up a prayer flag or create your own flag for the garden.
- Make something delicious with the spring greens around, like nettle soup, here is a delicious recipe by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.
Enjoy your Spring Equinox (Saturday 20th March at 09.37am, with the sun moving into Aries) whatever you may be doing !.
Join me for a special online Goddess Circle with Persephone and Lorriiii Dragon Dream on Saturday at 8pm.
Lorriiii Dragon Dream and I are honoured to offer you a deeper process of journeying and sharing with Persephone. We embody the energetic work we do through the arts : writing, drawing, movement and ceremony. Come and join us in a safe circle of like-minded women. Goddess Persephone can bring us inspiration and balance for our own daily life.
May you fly with beauty
For all our relations